Thursday, June 16, 2011

It's been a while

I've been pretty busy down here in NM, and the internet hasn't been working too well, so here is a new post that will cover the past two weeks or so.
Headed out on my training trek and got trained and whatnot. Got back 6-06, visited a town called Taos, (pronounced like Towson without the last two letters) and spent a little bit too much money. Then a few days later, I got my first crew.
This crew was from Denver so they were already aclimated to the altitude, rather than the sister crew who was from Florida. They lived real close to where Maggie and Greg are, so when I mentioned a few places, like the Red Rocks ampitheater, they knew what I was talking about. It was a really awesome crew to have to start off with. THey were very similiar in the way they acted to my crew last year, so I know they're going to have a good and successful trek.
One of the ways I know they're goona be great is the fact that dinner was screwed up two days in a row, and they were able to laugh at what happened. They kept a positive attitude, listened to what I had to teach them, and promptly acted when, on the second night, they lost their dinner on the ground of their campsite. I had them sign my bear bag (which I think I make all my crews do) and then I went on my hike-in day with another ranger who was going the same direction. We were trying to catch the early bus back to base so we booked it, going about 7 miles in an hour and a half. However, we missed the bus by ten minutes and had to wait for the next bus three hours later.
I was supposed to pick up a crew yesterday because I got sick with some kind of virus. I didn't want to get any crews sick the moment they went out onto the trail, so it's work days for me until 6-19, when I pick up my next crew. Oh well.
Still no bears, still no mountain lions, but I need to go because we only have half an hour allowed on the computer and my time is running out. Will update again soon the moment I can.

See you all later,

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment